POSITION SUMMARY: Performs skilled welding in the repair, modification, and fabrication of equipment and facilities; makes minor mechanical repairs on a variety of heavy equipment; and performs related duties as required. Also must be able to perform all aspects of undercarriage work including remove and install of tracks, rollers and idlers.
- Comprehend and interpret sketches and diagrams and Blueprint Reading.
- Examines weld for bead size and other specifications.
- Repairs broken or cracked parts and fills holes.
- Prepares broken parts for welding by grooving or scarfing surfaces.
- Experienced and highly skilled in all types of cutting to include oxy-Acetylene, air arcing, and plasma. Stick and MIG, and flex-core welding.
- Familiar with proper welding procedures for all metals and alloys ordinarily found in heavy construction equipment.
- Repairs, modifies, lay-out, or fabricates (with or without schematics) a variety of metal work including construction vehicles and equipment.
- Cuts, fits, and welds metal using gas and electric welding, equipment, performs skilled brazing and soldering; and uses a variety of machines, such as power saws, grinders, and drills, in completing work.
- Operate heavy equipment.
- Removal, installation, and/or repair of undercarriage components.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- General knowledge of tools and methods of the welding trade, including brazing, soldering electrical, and arc welding; the operation, minor repair, and preventive maintenance of gas-and diesel powered construction equipment; and safety practices related to welding and equipment repairs.
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from technical manuals; design, fabricate, and repair a variety of metal work; maintain simple records; perform minor repair and maintenance on a variety of diesel-powered heavy equipment; operate a variety of construction equipment; and work cooperatively with others.
- This position requires the ability to provide accurate information to lead/supervisor for quoting.
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Will be certified prior to operating a forklift and a crane qualification test performed.
- Proven ability to work safely with a crane.
- Ability to work unsupervised efficiently, and be part of a team environment.
- Performs the position with pride in professionalism while following Hawthornes code of conduct.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prefer to have the following:
- Two (2) years experience in skilled gas and electric welding plus one year in minor repair of gas and diesel-powered heavy equipment.
- Possess basic computer knowledge and ability to use service software required in position.
Must have valid Driver’s License with a good record.
- Shop Requirements: Valid California Class “C” driver’s license.
- Field Requirements: Valid California Class “B” driver’s license, if assigned vehicle is required.
Furnish all hand tools required to repair, test and diagnose hydraulic, air, power train, electrical and electronic systems on Caterpillar equipment.
- NOTE: Some high dollar value tooling is supplied by Hawthorne.
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
TESTING REQUIREMENTS: Applicants may be required to pass a written and/or oral examination before being considered for this position.
- Walking and moving about on foot often through uneven terrain.
- Hands/arms operating equipment, hand and power tools.
- Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion. Raises or lowers miscellaneous equipment parts and tools.
- Handling: Works with hands.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required for certain repair or maintenance work.
- Climbing: In and out of equipment.
- Vision: Read work tickets, parts and service books and operate heavy equipment.
- Talking: Communications by radio, phone, in writing, and in person.
- Sitting: Sits in equipment and in vehicles.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Hearing: Hears well enough to discern mechanical problems for safety in and around shop and construction sites and to receive communication by radio, phone and in person.
Laying: Lies in prone position under vehicles and equipment.
- Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
- Temperatures/Weather: Works in a warehouse & outside with variations of temperature and weather.
- Exposure: Foul odors, fumes and harsh substances.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations for essential functions of the position will be considered.
Hawthorne Cat® is an Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
Hawthorne Cat® Participates in E-Verify.