NOTE: This is an Orange County, California position. LENAX Does Not Pay for Relocation or Travel Expenses for Interviews or if selected for a position. Candidates selected to move forward in the interview process must be available to interview within 24-48 hours’ notification.
About Lenax Construction Services, Inc.
Since its inception in 1993, Lenax Construction Services, Inc. (LENAX) has provided quality construction services and project controls to a diverse range of engineering, design, and construction firms. LENAX services a broad range of markets, including airports, transportation, industrial, correctional, universities, and marine. LENAX is a goal-oriented and customer-driven independent consulting business, aimed at adding value and strength to our clients’ program teams by providing expertise in current pricing and economic trends, while utilizing the most up to date means and methods in the construction and design industries.
LENAX is looking for a Utilities Project Manager, with Rail/Transit Experience. The Utilities Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing, supervising and coordinating the management of specific utilities projects; will coordinate assigned activities with other divisions, outside agencies, and the general public; and, will provide highly-responsible and complex staff assistance to the applicable management representative.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
The following duties are typical for this role. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below, as applicable to business necessity, changes in business practices.
- Assumes responsibility for assigned services and activities related to the management of specific utilities projects, including design, bid, construction and related functions and professional contracts, to ensure completion of projects within budgetary, regulatory and time constraints.
- Coordinates the organization, staffing and operational activities for the utilities program.
- Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities; and additionally, recommends and implements policies and procedures.
- Identifies opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures; identifies resource needs; reviews with appropriate management staff; and implements improvements.
- Directs, coordinates and reviews the work plan for utilities project activities; assigns work activities and projects, including organizing and scheduling the work of professional and paraprofessional engineering staff and private contractors; monitors work flow; reviews and elevates work products, methods, and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Reviews the design of assigned utilities projects; directs the preparation and/or review of plans, specifications, estimates, and contracts for assigned projects.
- Selects, trains, motivates and evaluates assigned personnel, including contract employees; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; and may make recommendations and provide input regarding employee performance management.
- Participates in the development and d administration of assigned program budget; forecasts funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; and monitors and approves expenditures; recommends adjustments as necessary.
- Provides staff assistance to management; conducts a variety of studies and investigations; develops and recommends modifications to utility facility programs, policies, and procedures, as appropriate.
- Coordinates utility project activities with those of other divisions and outside agencies, organizations, and utility franchises; resolves sensitive and controversial issues.
- Performs a variety of applicable, project conflict resolution duties; resolves engineering problems in the construction phase; acts on behalf of the client/representative in meeting with and resolving engineering problems with project contractors, private engineers, owners, and developers.
- May serve as a representative on a variety of boards, commissions, and committees, planning and other public meetings; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field.
- May respond-to and resolve citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Education and Experience: Any combination of education and experience that would enable one to effectively perform the essential functions of the job. Typically, valid predictors would include:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, with major course work in civil engineering, construction management, construction technology or a related field; AND, a minimum of five (5) years of responsible, civil engineering experience related to the area of construction management, including two (2) years of project management, administrative and/or supervisory responsibility; OR
- Ten (10) years of increasingly responsible experience in the area of construction—five (5) of which must be in construction management, including two (2) years of project management, administrative and/or supervisory responsibility.
- Licensure/Certification: Must possess a certificate of registration as a Professional Civil Engineer in the State of California; or, Construction Management Certificate, highly desirable.
- Position-Specific Knowledge & Experience
- Operational characteristics, services and activities of a utility facilities program, as well as applicable principles and practices of utilities program management.
- Principles and practices used in the planning, design and relocation of utilities facilities.
- Contract administration principles and practices.
- Principles and practices of program development nd administration.
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations, including public contract law.
- Civil, structural electrical, traffic, geotechnical, and mechanical engineering principles and practices.
- Estimating principles and practices.
- Principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
- Principles of supervision, training and performance management.
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading and managing a project team;
- Proven ability to prepare and administer program budgets, and prepare cost estimates, and concise and accurate administrative and financial reports.
- Ability to effectively interpret and apply applicable federal, state and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Able to prepare and review the preparation of plans and specifications, including those for pump stations, treatment works, reservoirs sanitary sewers, water lines, storm drains, and other utilities projects.
- Demonstrated proficiency in utilizing MS Office applications (emphasis on Word, Excel, Project), Internet and E-mail, as necessary to meet the requirements of the job.
- Ability to pull-up, read and understand utility drawings and as built's on Microstation or AutoCAD.
- Exceptional written and interpersonal communication skills; proven negotiation and consensus-building skills a must. Able to effectively address internal and external customer concerns.
- Commitment to following all applicable company and client policies, procedures and work rules, and model appropriate actions and behaviors.
- Rail/Transit Program and Project Experience is Highly Desirable
Salary history and salary expectations must be included. Applicants without a salary expectations and history will not be considered. A list of previous projects worked on will be required, if selected as a candidate for the position.
LENAX employees enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Three (3) weeks (120 hours) Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Eight (8) Company-Paid Holidays
- A wide selection of medical plans and with a generous employer base plan--HMO, PPO, HSA/EPO options available; Dental, Vision, and Chiropractic/Acupuncture benefits
- 401-k Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Educational Assistance
Lenax Construction Services is a Drug-free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer