Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, education assistance and much more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Tuition Assistance
Balfour Beatty Rail (BBR), is seeking a Systems Interface Manager for the LAX Automated People Mover job-site. The Automated People Mover (APM) is an electric train system on a 2.25 mile elevated guideway with six stations total, for Los Angeles International Airport. The system is expected to be open for passenger service in 2023. The construction portion of the contract is valued at over $2 billion.
Support interface management for all system interfaces, including with 3rd parties. Responsibilities include:
- The candidate will be responsible for interface management and requirements fulfillment and will provide direction to project engineering teams in order to achieve Owner specified technical requirements and schedules.
- Significant customer interface will be required in collaboration with Project Manager(s) in the project execution phase of work.
- Assuring accuracy of the work produced by the design team and contractors, including plans, specifications and estimates.
- Responsible for interfacing with the other disciplines to insure proper coordination of the systems aspects of the project.
- The ideal candidate will have broad engineering skills and must have experience with the design and construction of rail infrastructure systems, integrating communications, train control and electrical systems.
- The candidate must be able to evaluate design changes for impacts to interfaces.
- Interface with the Systems Integration Manager to determine schedules, monitor design progress, support systems integration, and coordinate T&C activities.
- Developing Systems Integration and Interface Management Plans.
- Develop and coordinate Interface Control Documents.
- 10+ years of related work experience is required.
- Develop and Maintain Systems Interface Matrix.
- Previous systems engineering and integration experience on large transit projects.
- Track record of interface management, systems integration, system acceptance and rail safety certification.
- Provide oversight of systems integration testing.
- Provide oversight of systems acceptance testing.
- Understanding of construction means and methods.
- Familiarity with rail transit industry standards, practices, and regulations is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Must be proficient in the use of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Primavera P6 scheduling software.
- Previous experience with CoreWorx Interface Mgmt package or similar.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Willing to work 60 hours/week and weekends when necessary.
- Willing to relocate to Los Angeles, California, if not local.
- Experience in design and/or construction management of rail transit systems such as traction power substations, APM OS, signals/train control, and communications is preferred.
- Knowledge of railroading, signaling, communications, vehicles, and other railroad technology including requirements management software is preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles of traction power and signaling systems. In addition, knowledge of communications and central control facilities is desirable.
- Professional Engineer registration is a plus.
- Self-motivated and able to self-direct.
- Potential to perform in a lead capacity and manage engineering staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.