Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes competitive salaries, comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits, paid time off, education assistance and much more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Tuition Assistance
Balfour Beatty Rail (BBR), is seeking a Systems Engineer (Power & Communications) for the LAX Automated People Mover job-site. The Automated People Mover (APM) is an electric train system on a 2.25 mile elevated guideway with six stations total, for Los Angeles International Airport. The system is expected to be open for passenger service in 2023. The construction portion of the contract is valued at over $2 billion.
Serve as a Systems Engineer in the conceptual, preliminary and final design for complex rail transit projects. Responsibilities include:
- Work with a team in coordinating systems engineering design and construction services for rail transit projects involving traction power, signaling and train control equipment, SCADA, APM OS, substations and signal buildings, public address equipment, voice and data communication, telephones, fiber optic, CCTV, security alarm, fire detection and suppression, computer systems, and systems integration testing and startup activities.
- Responsible for assisting in the preparation of design drawings, specifications, and reports.
- Assuring accuracy of the work produced by the design team and contractors, including plans, specifications and estimates.
- Responsible for interfacing with the other disciplines to insure proper coordination of the systems aspects of the project.
- Assures compliance of design with all applicable codes and regulations.
- Interface with the Systems Contract Manager to determine schedules, monitor design progress, oversee field work, and coordinate T&C activities.
- 6+ years of related work experience is required.
- Understanding of construction means and methods with previous subcontract management experience desired.
- Knowledge of the principles of traction power and signaling systems. In addition, knowledge of communications and central control facilities is desirable.
- Familiarity with rail transit industry standards, practices, and regulations is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- Experience in design and/or construction management of rail transit systems such as traction power substations, APM OS, signals/train control, and communications is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the use of Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with Primavera P6 scheduling software.
- Willing to relocate to Los Angeles, California, if not local.
- Professional Engineer registration is a plus.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Previous experience with CoreWorx Interface Mgmt package a plus.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and schematic diagrams.
- Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
- Willing to work 60 hours/week and weekends when necessary.
Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.