The Staff Accountant is responsible for working with the Senior/Staff Accountants and Tax Manager in assembling the necessary information to complete, review and file required Sales & Use Tax Returns, Property Tax Returns and various other miscellaneous filings. The position also assists with various ad-hoc accounting related projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Prepares journal entries with supporting documentation
• Prepares and maintains excel spreadsheets for account analysis and reports
• Responds to inquiries of vendors, customers, government agencies, auditors, and employees
• Develops methods and/or procedures to enhance efficiency of work performed
• Monitors tax calendars and tax payments.
• Assists in preparation of sales tax, property tax and other types of tax/fee returns
• Assists in ongoing sales and use tax self-audits, as well as responding to requests by various outside tax auditors.
• Assists with other accounting functions on an as-needed basis
This role does not have direct supervisory responsibilities but must interact with other employees within the accounting department and outside departments.
Education and/or Experience - A bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field required. Prior sales tax and property tax experience preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Must be organized and responsible for meeting
all deadlines throughout the year.
Behavioral Skills - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex technical journals, tax codes, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
Technical Skills - Ability to apply mathematical concepts and operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, and factor analysis.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer Skills - To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Accounting software; Database software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. MS Excel advanced level skills required.
Other Qualifications - Must be able to travel up to 5% of the time, with the possibility of an overnight stay. Must be able to train employees on complex sales tax regulations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
CPA certificate desirable.
Quinn is an Equal Opportunity Employer M /F /V /DV