LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY – THIS IS A LOS ANGELES BASED POSITION (LENAX does not pay for relocation or travel expenses for interviews).
Since its inception in 1993, Lenax Construction Services, Inc. (LENAX) has provided quality construction services and project controls to a diverse range of engineering, design, and construction firms. LENAX services a broad range of markets, including airports, transportation, industrial, correctional, universities, and marine. LENAX is a goal-oriented and customer-driven independent consulting business, aimed at adding value and strength to our clients’ program teams by providing expertise in current pricing and economic trends, while utilizing the most up to date means and methods in the construction and design industries.
LENAX is looking for an Electrical Cost Estimator. The Negotiator / Estimator reports to the Program Estimating Manager. The primary responsibility to review change order proposals, develop a fair and reasonable recommendation, negotiate the change with the contractor, and prepare the record of negotiation documentation. The Negotiator / Estimator will also help prepare and/or supervise the preparation of construction cost estimates; reviews estimates for adequacy, uniformity and completeness; and evaluates vendor quotes, bid information and change orders.
The Electrical Cost Estimator duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review the proposal and assist with the determination of merit;
- Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it includes appropriate scope;
- Review the labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract specifications;
- Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.;
- Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits;
- Review the material pricing and validate against R.S. Means or other pricing references;
- Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references;
- Review contractor mark-ups to ensure that the correct mark-ups are being used and that any mark-up caps are not exceeded.
- The candidate will participate in the negotiation meeting with the contractor and:
- Discuss the client’s position after the contractor established their position. Share the basis of the client’s position to ensure a fair and reasonable understanding;
- Seek to find points of agreement early in the discussion and document the agreements;
- Determine points of disagreement and path to resolution. Adopt a reasonable, but contractual attitude;
- Develop the record of negotiation documentation.
- Develop detailed cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and/or questions; and actively assist the project team toward the answers.
- Actively reconcile the internal estimates with those prepared by third-parties; engage the third-party entities in an informative, collaborative reconciliation; and communicate the results of the reconciliation effort.
- Proactively establish a routine reporting cycle that clearly communicates when an estimate changes and why.
- Prepares and reviews material take offs from planning documents or engineering drawings.
- Prepares conceptual and comparative cost study estimates from preliminary sketches.
- Prepares detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems.
- Prepares estimates by applying unit rates for man hours, labor dollars, material dollars, and construction equipment dollars and all-in unit cost determination, calculating extensions and the application of standard factors, overhead rates and fees.
- Accumulates, evaluates and documents historical cost data for the development of future estimates.
- Prepares and / or reviews final Engineer's estimate. Reviews contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and equitable cost allowance for scope changes.
- Provides coordination and liaison with project management and project engineering personnel throughout the estimate development.
- Trains subordinate estimating personnel when necessary.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field required
- 10+ years of general estimating experience directly related to both engineering and construction projects are required.
- Demonstrated experience in Electrical discipline is required.
- Demonstrates a proactive, firm and respectful approach to estimate reconciliation efforts and change order processing
- Proved accuracy, reliability and completeness in job accomplishment
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proficient with large-scale estimating software
- Proficient with industry estimating databases and other estimating data sources, e.g. RS Means, Richardsons, etc.
- Experience with On-screen Take-off and MC2 is highly desirable
- Previous experience with airports is highly desirable
- Demonstrated proficiency estimating formats, including Uniformat II
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
Salary history and salary expectations must be included. Applicants without a salary expectations and history will not be considered. A list of previous projects worked on is required as well.
LENAX employees enjoy a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package. LENAX is an Equal Opportunity Employer.