Hawthorne CAT® will begin accepting applications for fall 2017: Feb. 1, 2017.
POSITION SUMMARY: Think BIG is a Caterpillar Scholarship/Apprentice program designed to give candidates both education and hands on experience. During the first two years of the program, students spend 8 week periods alternating between school and on the job training. Students are sent to Delta College – Stockton, in technical and academic course work, working toward an AS degree. The remaining time is spent at our Rancho Bernardo headquarters in paid on-the-job training (OJT). Once the A.S. degree is completed, graduates may be employed full-time as a dealer technician for an additional two years, which builds toward completion of OJT requirements to earn a journey-level certificate.
The following requirements must be submitted as part of the application process.
1. One resume:
2. Three letters of reference:
3. One Essay:
4. Official transcript(s):
TESTING REQUIREMENTS: Upon acceptance into the Think BIG program, you will be required to take a college placement exam at a local community college. Results must be provided to Human Resources.Responsibilities
1. Attend Trade School full-time training during school year.
2. Performs all Caterpillar and allied product P.M. services.
3. Performs mechanic duties as directed by supervisor.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
1. High School Graduate or equivalent.
2. Valid California driver's license (Class C).
3. PC Skills preferred.
1. Walking and moving about on foot often through uneven terrain.
2. Hands/arms operating equipment, hand and power tools.
3. Handling: Seizes, helps or works with hands.
4. Lifting: Raises or lowers miscellaneous equipment parts and tools.
5. Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
6. Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or
7. Standing: Remains in standing position if required for certain repair or
8. Climbing: In and out of equipment.
9. Vision: Read work tickets, parts and service books and operate heavy
10. Talking: Communications by radio, phone and in person.
11. Hearing: Hears well enough to discern mechanical problems for safety in
and around shop and construction sites and to receive communication by
radio, phone and in person.
12. Sitting: Sits in equipment and vehicles.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. Frequent, daily exertion.
1. Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
2. Temperatures/Weather: Works outside and in shop with variations of
temperature and weather.
3. Exposure: Foul odors, fumes and harsh substances.
Reasonable accommodations for essential and non-essential functions of the position will be considered.
Hawthorne Cat® is an Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/protected veteran status.
Hawthorne Cat® Participates in E-Verify.