LOCAL CANDIDATES ONLY – THIS IS A LOS ANGELES BASED POSITION (Lenax does not pay for relocation or travel expenses for interviews).
Since its inception in 1993, Lenax Construction Services, Inc. (LENAX) has provided quality construction services and project controls to a diverse range of engineering, design, and construction firms. LENAX services a broad range of markets, including airports, transportation, industrial, correctional, universities, and marine. LENAX is a goal-oriented and customer-driven independent consulting business, aimed at adding value and strength to our clients’ program teams by providing expertise in current pricing and economic trends, while utilizing the most up to date means and methods in the construction and design industries.
Lenax Construction Services is looking to fill a Senior MEP Estimator Position. The primary responsibility is to review change order proposals, develop a fair and reasonable recommendation, negotiate the change with the contractor, and prepare the record of negotiation documentation. The Senior Estimator will also help prepare and/or supervise the preparation of construction cost estimates; reviews estimates for adequacy, uniformity and completeness; and evaluates vendor quotes, bid information and change orders.
The Senior MEP Estimator will support the change management process for airport projects, including terminal, airside and landside projects that are underway or being planned. The candidate will review change order proposals and:
· Review the proposal and assist with the determination of merit;
· Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it includes appropriate scope;
· Review the labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract specifications;
· Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.;
· Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits;
· Review the material pricing and validate against R.S. Means or other pricing references;
· Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references;
· Review contractor mark-ups to ensure that the correct mark-ups are being used and that any mark-up caps are not exceeded.
The candidate will participate in the negotiation meeting with the contractor and:
· Discuss the client position after the contractor established their position.
· Share the basis of the client position to ensure a fair and reasonable understanding;
· Seek to find points of agreement early in the discussion and document the agreements;
· Determine points of disagreement and path to resolution.
· Adopt a reasonable, but contractual attitude;
· Develop the record of negotiation documentation.
The candidate will also:
· Develop detailed cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and/or questions; and actively assist the project team toward the answers.
· Actively reconcile the internal estimates with those prepared by third-parties; engage the third-party entities in an informative, collaborative reconciliation; and communicate the results of the reconciliation effort.
· Proactively establish a routine reporting cycle that clearly communicates when an estimate changes and why.
· Prepare and review material take offs from planning documents or engineering drawings; conceptual and comparative cost study estimates from preliminary sketches; detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems; estimates by applying unit rates for man hours, labor dollars, material dollars, and construction equipment dollars and all-in unit cost determination, calculating extensions and the application of standard factors, overhead rates and fees.
· Accumulate, evaluate and document historical cost data for the development of future estimates.
· Prepare and / or review final Engineer's estimate.
· Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and equitable cost allowance for scope changes.
· Provide coordination and liaison with project management and project engineering personnel throughout the estimate development.
· Train subordinate estimating personnel when necessary.
· Self-starter attitude with proven results-oriented focus. Demonstrates a proactive, firm and respectful approach to estimate reconciliation efforts and change order processing.
· Establish and maintain a personable, but contractual stance with the contractor.
· Demonstrated proficiency with estimating formats, including Uniformat II.
· Proficient with industry estimating databases and other estimating data sources, e.g. RS Means, Richardsons, National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA), etc.
· Proficient with large-scale estimating software.
· Proven accuracy, reliability and completeness in job accomplishment.
· Demonstrated success on the job, as evidenced by satisfactory performance, acceptance of responsibility and growth in previous position.
· Effective oral and written communication skills.
Special Skills, Ability, Experience Required:
· Microsoft Office required, e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
· MC2 Estimating Software (Highly Desirable)
· On-Screen Take-Off (Highly Desirable)
Senior MEP Estimator Requirements:
· Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline.
· 10+ years of general estimating experience directly related to both engineering and construction projects is required.
· Minimum 8+ years experience in MEP System design or related experience resulting in working knowledge of MEP Systems
· Previous experience with public airport projects is a must; experience within a commercial airport terminal highly desirable.
· Demonstrated experience with complex estimate reconciliations and change order negotiations.
Salary history and salary expectations must be included. Applicants without a salary expectations and history will not be considered. A list of previous projects worked on is required as well.
LENAX employees enjoy a wide range of benefits and a competitive compensation package. LENAX is an Equal Opportunity Employer.