Become Part of Our Team
As an industry leader Balfour Beatty offers employees a comprehensive benefits package with competitive salaries and more including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- 401(k) with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Dependent & Medical Reimbursement)
- Vacation Time
- Sick Time
- Paid Personal Days
- Paid Volunteer time
- Tuition Assistance
- Employee Referral Bonus
Balfour Beatty Construction is seeking a qualified Senior Estimator to join our Southern California team in either the San Diego or Newport Beach office. If you have a passion for what you do, a strong drive to achieve results, the ability to solve problems creatively, and a dedication to client service and relationship management, come join us.
The Senior Estimator is a member of the preconstruction team and is responsible for preparing budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects to be built for clients under the CM at Risk, design-Build, CM Multiple Prime, GC, Lease-Leaseback and Hard Bid delivery methods. Responsibilities also include working with the project management team in establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work, preparing quantity surveys and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value engineering in all CSI (Construction Specification Institute) categories of work. Some supervision of other estimators, intern/co-op students, or project engineers.
- Leads estimates for active projects and pursuit opportunities.
- Performs accurate, thorough and timely quantity takeoffs using company format, detail and coding for all CSI division systems for all levels of project documents (schematic, design development and, construction documents).
- Develops accurate and concise clarifications and assumptions with the project management team’s assistance.
- Manages multiple projects concurrently with ability to multitask.
- Obtains clarification on plans and specifications from architects and engineers when necessary. Solicits and analyzes subcontractor and vendor pricing input.
- Attends project site pre-bid meetings, site tours, and post-bid interviews as required.
- Develops unit costs accurately.
- Develops and analyzes value management analysis options. Performs technical/plan review.
- Considers and understands problems, and identifies appropriate solutions.
- Develops knowledge in building designs, systems and construction materials through available resources and uses this knowledge in guiding the owner to a viable project.
- Experienced with lean practices, target value design and trend log management. Accurately assesses and plans takeoff workload.
- Ensures all data placed in the historical database is accurate. Assists in purchasing or buyout duties.
- Participates in document review workshops.
- Proficient in all computer software programs used in preconstruction with emphasis on 2D/3D estimating software, sub solicitation software and Bluebeam.
- Prepares and presents budget presentations to owners and architects.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, subcontractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company core values and meets or exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- Performs other related duties as needed.
- B.S. in Construction Management, Engineering, or equivalent work experience with 7 + years of preconstruction and/or operations experience on commercial construction projects or 10 years and more of progressive equivalent work experience in a related field. Depending upon the project size, scope, and complexity the years of experience may vary.
- Knowledgeable in some or all of the following: civil/site construction, foundation and structural systems, interior finishes, exterior wall systems, mechanical and electrical systems and the costs of these systems.
- Must possess knowledge of exterior building wall systems and interior finish construction systems.
- Must demonstrate expanding knowledge of construction details about miscellaneous metals, casework, doors, specialties, radiation protection, and other trades.
- Possess the ability to estimate all aspects of a commercial construction project, assemble into one budget, and present to owners.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software, word processing, spread sheets, bid management, online plan rooms and database applications and company communication tools, such as email, internet, and Microsoft products (e.g., Word, Excel, Office, Outlook).
- Hard bid experience is a plus.
- Higher Education, Civic, K-12 and correctional estimating backgrounds, highly desired.
- Experience in the Southern California region, with intimate knowledge of the local markets and subcontractor base in the public market sector.
- Must be able to view things from an owner’s perspective and present accordingly.
- Must be a team player, able to work in and/or organize teams.
- Must be able to operate as a “stand alone” estimator able to handle complete projects.
- Must possess specific expertise with design-build and Construction Management at Risk projects.
- Possess good organizational and management skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to develop new skills and knowledge quickly.
- Resourceful and diligent in seeking solutions to problems and adapting to new situations.
Balfour Beatty US is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the nation. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, our teams build the unique structures and infrastructure that play an important role in how people live, work, learn and play in our communities. Our teammates have an instinctive passion for innovating that is fueled by a relentless curiosity, a drive to employ lean practices and processes and the determination to find a better way. Through Zero Harm®, we are challenging the construction industry’s assumptions about safety. We believe that no level of harm should come to anyone as a result of our business.
Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest building contractors, by Engineering News-Record, our US business is a subsidiary of London-based Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY).
Balfour Beatty is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other criteria protected by federal, state or local law.