NOTE: This is a Los Angeles-Based Position. LENAX Does Not Pay for Relocation or Travel Expenses for Interviews or if selected for a position. Candidates selected to move forward in the interview process must be available to interview within 48 - 72 hours of notification.
About Lenax Construction Services, Inc.
Since its inception in 1993, Lenax Construction Services, Inc. (LENAX) has provided quality construction services and project controls to a diverse range of engineering, design, and construction firms. LENAX services a broad range of markets, including airports, transportation, industrial, correctional, universities, and marine. LENAX is a goal-oriented and customer-driven independent consulting business, aimed at adding value and strength to our clients’ program teams by providing expertise in current pricing and economic trends, while utilizing the most up to date means and methods in the construction and design industries.
LENAX is looking for an experienced, senior-level Estimator to join our project team, supporting a large, multi-billion-dollar, airport capital improvement project. Successful candidates will be familiar with the Design-Build process, able to work independently, and be comfortable interfacing with all members of the co-located design, construction, and management teams. Key identifiers for the target candidates include the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- 7-10 years of general estimating experience directly related to both engineering and construction projects is required
- Ability to produce conceptual estimates, detailed estimates and negotiate change orders with Contractors.
Position Description Summary
The successful candidate will have proven cost estimating experience. The general job duties will include, but shall not be limited to: Preparing conceptual and detailed estimates, negotiating change orders, developing budgets; and, reviewing invoices. Proficiency with electrical, utilities and heavy civil trades is highly desirable.
Essential Job Duties – The Estimator II’s duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Review the scope specified within the proposal to ensure it includes the appropriate scope
- Review the labor rates to ensure conformance to the contract specifications
- Review labor productivity to ensure that the labor hours are in conformance with working restrictions, overtime is appropriate, etc.
- Review quantities and ensure there is a fair and reasonable representation of additional scope, as well as possible credits
- Review the material pricing and validate against R.S. Means and other support data, for other pricing references
- Review pre-purchased material or equipment and/or equipment rental rates against fair and reasonable pricing references
- Review contractor mark-ups to ensure that the correct mark-ups are being used and that any markup caps are not exceeded
- Develop the record of negotiation documentation
- Develop detailed cost estimates from the engineering drawings; proactively identify deficiencies and/or questions; and actively assist the project team toward the answers
- Proactively establish a routine reporting cycle that clearly communicates when an estimate changes and why
- Prepare and review material take-offs from planning documents or engineering drawings
- Prepare detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems
- Prepare estimates by applying unit rates for man hours, labor dollars, material dollars, and
- construction equipment dollars and all-in unit cost determination, calculating extensions and the application of standard factors, overhead rates and fees.
- Review contract documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and equitable cost allowance for scope changes
- Contribute to the advancement of Client goals through commitment to productive collaboration with all stakeholders
Job Qualifications - To effectively perform the essential functions of the job, candidates must meet the following position specifications:
- Proficient with large-scale estimating software
- Experience with On-screen Take-off and MC2 is highly desirable
- Microsoft Office Suite (including Excel)
- Proficient with industry estimating databases and other estimating data sources, e.g. RS Means, Richardsons, etc.
- Experience with HCSS estimating software desirable
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat and/or Bluebeam
Professional Experience Level/Other Qualifications
- Seven-to-ten (7 – 10) years of general estimating experience directly related to both engineering and construction projects are required;
- Previous experience with airports is highly desirable;
- Demonstrates a proactive, firm and respectful approach to estimate reconciliation efforts and change order processing;
- Demonstrated proficiency estimating formats, including Uniformat II;
- Proved accuracy, reliability and completeness in job accomplishment; and,
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field
- May assume other duties as required/needed
- May work overtime
- May be required to work various shifts as needed
Note: Salary expectations must be included for all applicants. Applications without salary expectations may not be considered. A project-based resume and/or list of previous projects worked on may be requested as well.
LENAX employees enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- Three (3) weeks (120 hours) Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Eight (8) Company-Paid Holidays
- A wide selection of medical plans and with a generous employer base plan--HMO, PPO, HSA/EPO options available; Dental, Vision, and Chiropractic/Acupuncture benefits. Employer covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of dependent premium with the Company’s Medical “Base Plan”; and similarly for the Delta Dental PPO 2000 Plan—100% of premium covered for the employee premium, and 50% for dependent premium(s)
- 401-k Retirement Savings Plan with employer matching
- Educational Assistance
- Professional Development
- Employee Referral Program
- And, much, much more!
Lenax Construction Services, Inc. is a Drug-free Workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer