Mauser USA LLC
Regional Safety Manager
Location: Western US
Mauser USA LLC has an opportunity for an Environmental, Health & Safety (EH&S) cover to Western US region. This position will report to the Vice President, Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) for MAUSER North America.
Mauser is a leading global supplier of industrial packaging solutions, manufacturing a variety of plastic, steel and fiber containers for a diverse customer base spanning industries including oil & gas, food & beverage, pharmaceutical and chemical, amongst others. Mauser is experiencing significant growth – both organically as well as through acquisition – therefore the opportunities for successful individuals can be significant.
The Regional Safety Manager will be responsible for continuing to drive cultural transformation around safety, will establish a comprehensive safety approach throughout their area of responsibility with a focus on approximately 6 manufacturing facilities per region. As Mauser NA is an ISO 9001 certified manufacturer, the Safety Manager will coordinate with Quality Program managers and optimize use of shared plant resources among safety, health, environmental and quality activities.
A critical component for success in this role is the ability to influence and to drive change with established and senior leaders throughout the region. While safety is considered a top priority, the successful candidate will need to ensure MAUSER’s safety, health and environmental philosophies and programs are embraced and understood throughout the region. Therefore, the individual will need to be a leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
The role will report to the VP SHEQ with dotted line relationships to supported plant managers.
Main Position Responsibilities:
- Assisting with the establishment, communication and implementation of a safety strategy and approach to drive a more thorough understanding throughout the organization that the safety of our employees must be the top priority.
- Provide consistency in safety practices and procedures throughout ~8 manufacturing facilities, over three main product lines and encompassing multiple entities which have been acquired over the years into the Mauser family
- Lead and support project-based safety work (i.e. providing leadership for improving workers compensation performance in one or more production facilities, establish an accident-repeater program for rollout, etc.)
- Act as partner to the plant leadership and safety teams to enable an improvement in the culture that places safety first
- Communicates and designs action plans to encourage and sustain employee engagement
- Ensure complete and timely submittal of required EHS reports from all sites
- Regularly review measurements of EHS performance, serious incidents etc. and drive continuous improvement
- Monitor audit findings, closure rates, follow-up with plants, look for common issues across plants, etc.
- Regularly visit sites for review of site conditions and management review of EHS issues
- Regularly communicate with and facilitate communication among plant personnel to share problems and solutions and identify issues
- Regularly communicate with plant and business unit management on performance, challenges and opportunities
- Enhance knowledge of EH&S principles, legislation and technology throughout the organization
- Establish, monitor and communicate key EH&S metrics
- Identify professional and personal development activities and opportunities for employees participating in safety action committees
Key Attributes / Behaviors
- 3-5+ years of safety management experience
- Key technical experience in ergonomics, machine guarding, control of hazardous energy, waste water, waste management and chemical management, in addition to standard EHS competency
- Strong commitment to improving safety performance and EHS compliance and management
- Ability to analyze and prioritize needs, communicate to plant EHS, plant managers, and senior management and ensure implementation of needed actions
- Ability to drive activity and improvement in the business
- Demonstrated ability to move culture and create change around safety and employee engagement
- Bachelors degree preferred
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) with strong facilitation ability
- Ability to travel ~50% (regionally)
- Excellent understanding of manufacturing, technical and development activities and processes.
- Experience in management and implementation of ISO programs a plus
- Professional certification such as Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Professional Engineer (PE), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), or Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM) a plus
The Mauser Group manufactures and supplies plastic, fiber, and steel drums as well as intermediate bulk containers (“IBCs”) for the chemical, industrial and food & beverage industries, among many others. With revenues of $1.5 billion, the company is also the leading provider of reconditioning services for used plastic drums and IBCs of all products. Mauser’s 4,400 employees operate over 100 production facilities across 18 countries in Europe, North America, Latin America, and Asia. The Mauser Group is globally headquartered in Bruehl, Germany. Mauser North America LLC is the largest business unit of the global organization.