About BerkeleyThe University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and researchinstitutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generati..." property="og:description" />
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and researchinstitutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleledintellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’sculture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it avery special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture thatsupports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staffposition at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley
Workplace Culture with their potential for success at Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 7/6/2015
The College of Chemistry operates as three distinct functional units: The Department of Chemistry,The Department of Chemical Engineering, and the College itself. The College operations is diverse,including Undergraduate Affairs management, College Relations, Business and AdministrativeServices, Environmental Health and Safety, Information Systems, Building Services , Shops andAnalytical Services.
The Machine Shop, as part of the Shops, fulfills equipment and physical infrastructure needs ofCollege shop customers. The Pr. Lab Mechanicianl design, fabricate, modify, maintain, and repairmechanical equipment, laboratory apparatus, and components utilizing all processes associated withstandard mechanical and machine shop practices. Has has thorough knowledge, understanding, andapplication of techniques used in the fabrication and design of cryogenic, ultra high vacuum, vacuum,and high pressure equipment, including all types of plumbing utilized with in a research laboratory setting.
• Work from unchecked drawings, sketches or oral instructions with responsibility for establishing orchecking accuracy of dimensions and clearances. Determine and analyze project requirements andconstraints in to meet customer needs.
• Provide input on the facilitation and fabrication of projects, with attention to: design goals, utility,functionality, constructability, cost, timeliness, workmanship, application and selection of materials,finishes, geometric dimensioning, sizing and tolerancing of components.
• Develop project details and solutions as work progresses.
Construct, Fabricate, Modify, and Repair:
• Properly and efficiently set up and operate all tools and equipment of the machining, mechanical,plumbing, and construction trades.
• Work efficiently with a wide variety of exotic materials, metals, metal alloys, non-metals, and plastics in the fabrication, modification, and repair of research equipment and facilities. Work to closetolerances (.0001") as required.
• Work with equipments, not limited to cryogenic, ultra high vacuum, vacuum, high pressure, pulsevalves, NMR probes, laser systems, sheet metal fabrications, small precision parts and mechanisms,large fabrications, and all types of plumbing used in a laboratory environment.
Shop Operations, EH&S, Position Controls, and Other Duties:
• Document and account for time and materials used on assignments. Adhere to shop standards ofperformance to ensure efficiency in scheduling, progress tracking, workload projecting, job estimating,etc.
• Communicate with shop management on assignments, policies, and procedures, to create andmaintain a supportive and productive work environment.
• Participate in special projects such as equipment and facility assessment, standards drafting, policydefinition, facility upgrade, procedure development, and customer education, to improve the quality ofthe work environment and customer service.
• Work and operate equipment within College and EH&S policies.
• Work in an interactive and cooperative manner with shop supervision, co-workers, and customers.
• Act as a resource and the lead mechanician in the Shop. Demonstrate strong individual effort.
• Independently develop project details based mainly on rough sketches and oral instructions,specifying component relationships, sizes, fits, and materials.
• Make recommendations to improve the functionality and fabrication process of projects, balancingthe researchers’ needs and restrictions of the equipment and environement.
• Use ingenuity in suggesting changes in design to solve problems which inhibit the functionalutilization of the device.
• Facilitate cooperation within the Shop and between workgroups.
• Assist in training and cross training peers to increase the overall Shop capabilities.
• Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and 10 years of metal shop experienceand journeyman skills in the operation of all standard machine shop equipment equivalent to that of aninstrument maker; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience in closing tolerances (.0001") with a wide variety of exotic materials and working fromblueprints, rough sketches, and verbal instructions.
• Experience in fabrication of cryogenic, ultra high vacuum, high pressure, and laboratory plumbingcomponents and systems.
• Ability to perform all types of soldering and TIG welding processes.
• CNC skills.
• Ability to work productively in a fast paced and demanding environment.• Effective communication skills.
• Strong analytical and organizational skills.
• Ability to collaboratively identify, analyze, and solve problems.
• Tig Welding skill preferred.
• In depth knowledge of standard mechanical and machine shop best practices.
• Design experience and skills equivalent to a R&D machinist.