Description Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Position Summary:Berkeley Lab’s Engineering Division has an opportunity for a Metrology Associate. You will provide multifunctional technical support, applying engineering, scientific, or other technical concepts and practices across Laboratory Divisions in Coordinate Metrology.
- Provide oversight of the Metrology/Mechanical Inspection operations for Engineering Division Central Fabrication Shops, applying highly specialized expertise and knowledge to solve technical problems of complex scope.
- Perform mechanical inspection, precision assembly and alignment on mechanical components and assemblies, whether produced in-house or by vendors.
- Program, set-up and operate complex metrology equipment, including: conventional coordinate measuring machines, portable articulated arm coordinate-measuring machines, optical coordinate measuring machines, laser interferometers, and microscopes.
- Act as the mechanical metrology technical point of contact for the Laboratory.
- Serve as quality assurance manager for the Central Fabrication Shops.
- Plan and develop systems to establish confidence that quality-related activities are performed effectively. This includes the regulation of the quality of raw materials, assemblies and services, and the fabrication and inspection processes.
- Perform the necessary actions to provide adequate confidence that the Shop’s products and services satisfy customer-specified requirements for quality.
- Demonstrated experience with Zeiss Calypso on a wide variety of parts and assemblies, preferably 1st article or limited runs. Prefer experience with Curve and FreeForm.
- Demonstrated knowledge in ASME Y14.5M, standard for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Demonstrated experience in CAD system utilization, import and export of 3d models for CMM programming and data acquisition.
- Significant technical knowledge of engineering and manufacturing principles and practices.
- Ability to interact with managers, supervisors, lead personnel, machinists, mechanical crafts personnel, engineering associates, and technicians to provide a high level of accuracy and confidence of measured data.
- Ability to interact with scientists, engineers, designers, engineering associates and technicians in defining goals and contributing to their realization.
- Good computer skills with demonstrated ability to efficiently use productivity applications such as MS Excel, MS Word, CAD systems.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- Technical or Professional level certification in ASME Y14.5M GD&T.
- Familiar with B89.4.1 and ISO 10360-2 CMM performance assessment standards.
- Associate’s degree or Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent experience in Metrology/Engineering or related field.
Notes: This is a career appointment. This position requires completion of a background check.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."