Online applications must be submitted to the Recruitment Division beginning at 4:30 pm on Wednesday, June 3 and submitted by Friday, June 5, 2015 by 4:30 pm. ONLY the first 100 qualified applications will be accepted by the Recruitment Division. 1. Completion of twelfth grade, or its equivalent; and
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified applicants to apply for temporary positions (up to 6 months) in the Meter Reading Section of the Meter Reading and Maintenance Division. Under minimal supervision, the Meter Reader uses an electronic hand-held computer to read meters in an assigned area in order to record water consumption for a given period of time.
The Meter Reader reads from 300 to 600 residential meters daily and regularly lifts meter covers that weigh from 5 up to 75 pounds. Meter Readers walk 7 to 12 miles daily, in all weather conditions and in all service areas of EBMUD. To locate and read some meters, Meter Readers have to climb embankments, go over fences, search through underbrush and go into basements. They work all over the East Bay Area, from North Richmond to San Ramon, from East Oakland to Crockett, in all kinds of neighborhoods and industrial areas. The terrain is often hilly and poison oak, bees, wasps, snakes, spiders and ticks are encountered in more rural areas. In urban areas, hazards include traffic, rats, loose dogs and the general public, some of whom may be hostile.
Other responsibilities include detecting and reporting unusual conditions affecting water service, and answering customer questions or referring them to the appropriate source for information.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity and orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or disabled status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of such protected category.
2. Possession of a valid California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
• A Meter Reader must use his/her own vehicle on the job and must furnish evidence of the exclusive use of a properly licensed and insured automobile prior to appointment
• Must possess physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including stamina to walk 7 to 12 miles a day; and climb embankments, stairs, and fences to four feet; agility to crawl through narrow spaces; and to bend 200 times per day
• Must be willing to work alone, in a variety of weather conditions, and where hostile dogs and people may be encountered
• Must be willing to work overtime as needed
• While the position does not require prior experience, previous experience or background working independently outdoors in a variety of weather conditions is highly desirable.
Visit to submit your EBMUD application online beginning at 4:30 pm Wednesday, June 3 and submitted by Friday, June 5, 2015 by 4:30 pm. ONLY the first 100 qualified applications will be accepted by the Recruitment Division. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted. Applications received on dates other than stated above, materials faxed, mailed or delivered to EBMUD will not be accepted. It is your responsibility to clearly specify your experience. Applicants presenting the best combination of job-related qualifications will be reviewed for further consideration.
Applicants presenting the best combination of job-related qualifications will be reviewed for further consideration. The hiring supervisor will interview qualified candidates. If you are invited to the hiring interview, you will need to bring the following documents at that time:
• DMV printout dated no earlier than June 1, 2015
• Copy of proof of insurance for your personal automobile
• Copy of your valid car registration