JOB CLASSIFICATION:Job Classification: Maintenance Specialist II (Walnut Creek)
Salary: $5,572 - $6,451 Monthly, $66,864 - $77,412 Annually
Opening Date: Monday, March 7, 2016
Closing Date: Friday, March 25, 2016 by 4:30p.m.
Open To: General Public
Maintenance Specialists (MS) perform a broad range of skilled work in a wide variety of trades in order to operate and maintain the facilities and properties of East Bay Municipal Utility District’s (EBMUD’s) water production and transmission system, stretching across the Central Valley.
EBMUD provides paid training and opportunities to gain experience in lesser skilled areas. MS2s must report for four months to the Stockton service yard and four months to the Bixlerservice yard in order to be cross-trained throughout the Aqueduct Section as part of completing the MS2 training program. Once MS2s have gained experience and demonstrated proficiency, they advance to the MS3 (journey level). MS2s must advance to MS3 within two and a half years of hire. Currently, the top MS3 annual salary is $87,564.
Typical MS2 duties at the Walnut Creek facility fall into the general craft disciplines of:
- Aqueduct pipeline, pumping plant and facility operation and maintenance (O&M)
- Pipeline plumbing (1/4” – 108”)
- Mechanical maintenance
- Electrical work
- Right-of-way patrol and landscape maintenance
- Construction inspection
- Records management/computerized maintenance management system
- Welding and fabrication
- Truck driving
- Heavy equipment operation
- Water quality sampling
- Instrumentation O&M
- Carpentry and masonry
- Boat operation
The ideal candidate will have an unrestricted Class A California driver license and experience in the construction and building trades, aqueduct, pumping plant and facility operations and maintenance, and heavy equipment operation. However, candidates with exceptional skills in other trades can also be successful and will receive Class A training, if needed.
A California Department of Public Health Water Treatment Operator T2 License is desirable.
The salary range is $5,572 per month increasing to $5,851, $6,144, and $6,451 after 12, 24,and 36 months, respectively.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
A typical means of acquiring the essential knowledge and abilities is:
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Two to four years of experience in a combination of mechanical, electrical, structures maintenance, equipment operation and/or construction work.
- Possession of a California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record. Must possess a valid, unrestricted Class A driver’s license within one year of hire (EBMUD pays for training). Incumbents are subject to federally mandated random drug testing as a condition of maintaining employment.
- Possession of or ability to obtain State of California Qualified Applicators Certificate, within one year of hire (EBMUD pays for training).
- Must be willing and able to work in a variety of weather conditions; work weekends, holidays and on any shift, on call or overtime as needed; complete home study, on-the-job training and pass written examinations required to advance to MS3.
- Must advance to MS3 within two and a half years of hire.
- Must be physically capable of sustained walking and climbing, lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds, climbing stairs and ladders, and working in cramped, awkward and elevated positions or inside pipes and penstocks. May be required to be clean-shaven on a scheduled basis to fit test or wear respiratory protection equipment.
- Maintenance Specialists must be able to respond and be on-site within one hour of the reporting location if on standby assignment.
- Must be willing to job-site report for four months each to the Stockton and Bixler serviceyards as part of the MS2 training program for Aqueduct section cross-training.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at by 4:30 p.m., Friday, March 25, 2016. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates demonstrating the strongest qualifications for the position to be invited to a written test expected to be held in April 2016.
Those passing the written exam will be invited to a technically based interview.
Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
As the first step in the selection process, responses to the supplemental questions must be submitted online with the regular EBMUD application. Please provide thorough, accurate descriptions of assignments you have personally performed.