Purpose/Description: Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts. Fabricate and modify parts per print; knowledge of mathematics, metal properties, layout, machining procedures and blue print reading.
- Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as CNC lathes, CNC milling machines, shapers, or grinders
- Calculate dimensions or tolerances, using instruments such as micrometers or vernier callipers.
- Set up, adjust, or operate basic or specialized machine tools used to perform precision machining operations.
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, or materials onto machines.
- Measure, examine, or test completed units to check for defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments, such as micrometers.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Maintain machine tools in proper operational condition.
- Study sample parts, blueprints, drawings, or engineering information to determine methods or sequences of operations needed to fabricate products.
- Operate equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Check work pieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated or cooled.
- Program computers or electronic instruments, such as numerically controlled machine tools.
- Diagnose machine tool malfunctions to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Confer with engineering, supervisory, or manufacturing personnel to exchange technical information.
- Lay out, measure, and mark metal stock to display placement of cuts.
- Fit and assemble parts to make or repair machine tools.
- Set up or operate metalworking, brazing, heat-treating, welding, or cutting equipment.
- Dispose of scrap or waste material in accordance with company policies and environmental regulations.
- Separate scrap waste and related materials for reuse, recycling, or disposal.
- Evaluate machining procedures and recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency or adaptability.
- Dismantle machines or equipment, using hand tools or power tools to examine parts for defects and replace defective parts where needed.
- Install repaired parts into equipment or install new equipment.