POSITION SUMMARY: With minimal supervision; will perform duties as assigned by management in the repair, maintenance and/or rebuilding of equipment in the service shop or field, in a safe, efficient and capable manner in the least amount of labor hours necessary, and without rework.
- Perform all requirements found in any Caterpillar Lubrication & Maintenance Guide.
- Perform new and used equipment start-up for delivery to end-user.
- Perform Caterpillar updates as directed by Caterpillar.
- Remove, install, recondition and repair engines and make necessary adjustments on the engine as well as to the components in the various systems
- Perform diagnostic tests on engines.
- Remove, install, and make repairs and necessary adjustments on the various power train components.
- Remove, install and make necessary adjustments to Hydraulic Systems.
- Troubleshoot all Caterpillar and allied product systems.
- Disassemble, clean and reassemble all Caterpillar and allied products machines.
- Use all test and diagnostic equipment available to make adjustments to machines and systems.
- Make warranty recommendations and reports in representation of a CAT product.
- Measure and identify parts and components for reusability or replacement and ordering new parts as required.
- Perform minor welding and fabrication.
- This position requires work to be completed within 110% of any Flat Rate times that are established as targets by HMC.
- Rework must not exceed 0.5% of labor hours.
- Performs other duties as directed by foreman or service manager.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Prefer to have one of the following:
- Successful completion of apprenticeship program.
- Graduation from an accredited technical school with emphasis on diesel engine or earthmoving repair.
- Two years of experience with hands on mechanical repair on diesel engine or earthmoving repair.
Must have valid Driver’s License with a good record.
- Shop Requirements: Valid California Class “C” driver’s license.
- Field Requirements: Valid California Class “B” driver’s license, if assigned vehicle is required.
Furnish all hand tools required to repair, test and diagnose hydraulic, air, power train, electrical and electronic systems on Caterpillar equipment.
- NOTE: Some high dollar value tooling is supplied by Hawthorne.
TESTING REQUIREMENTS: Applicants may be required to pass a written and/or oral examination before being considered for employment in this position.
- Walking and moving about on foot often through uneven terrain.
- Hands/arms operating equipment, hand and power tools.
- Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion. Raises or lowers miscellaneous equipment parts and tools.
- Handling: Seizes helps or works with hands.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
- Standing: Remains in standing position if required for certain repair or maintenance work.
- Climbing: In and out of equipment.
- Vision: Read work tickets, parts and service books and operate heavy equipment.
- Talking: Communications by radio, phone, and in person.
- Sitting: Sits in equipment and in vehicles.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Hearing: Hears well enough to discern mechanical problems for safety in and around shop and construction sites and to receive communication by radio, phone and in person.
- Laying: Lies in prone position under vehicles and equipment.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Lifting: Up to 50 lbs. daily, frequent exertion.
- Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
- Temperatures/Weather: Works in a warehouse and outside with variations of temperature and weather.
- Exposure: Foul odors, fumes and harsh substances.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Reasonable accommodations for essential functions of the position will be considered.
Hawthorne Cat® is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. M/F/V/D
Hawthorne Cat® Participates in E-Verify.