Position Summary: The Legal Assistant works independently, often with confidential matters that require a high level of discretion. Provides administrative support by conducting research, handling information requests, and performing administrative functions.
- Perform initial review of documents submitted for legal review to determine requirements, issues, and timelines.
- Prepare documentation for and manage responses to public and private sector bids.
- Prepare summaries and chronologies of legal documents and perform legal research as needed.
- Assist with management of outside counsel including calendaring and monitoring dates for significant events.
- Prepare pleadings, discovery requests, responses, subpoenas, correspondence, and other legal documents.
- Assist with administration and monitoring of legal compliance and risk initiatives.
- Complete monthly reconciliation of bank accounts, prepare payment disbursements and collect rents.
- Prepare monthly financial statements in excel and QuickBooks.
- Prepare quarterly tax filings, business licenses and related government filings.
- Coordinate with outside accounting firms to prepare income tax filings.
- Monitor administration and performance of various real estate leases.
- Assist with financial operation and administration of various businesses, trusts, and legal entities.
- Participate and sometimes lead various operational process reviews with recommendations for and implementation of improvements
- Periodically assist members of the executive committee with preparation of analyses and summary reports of financial and other data as may be required.
- Maintains strict confidentiality in regards to Human Resources, Legal Counsel, Executives and company financial information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- Must have 8+ years of experience in a reputable law firm (paralegal certificate preferred)
- Must be a self-starter and have the ability to efficiently manage multiple projects
- Proficient with excel and other facets of Microsoft Office
- Experiencing managing real estate preferred.
- 1-3 years of bookkeeping experience
- PC skills required
- Must have a valid Class C License with a good driving record.
Testing Requirements: Applicants may be required to pass a written and/or oral examination before being considered for employment in this position.
- Walking and moving about on foot often up and down stairs.
- Handling: Seizes, helps or works with hands.
- Lifting: Raises or lowers miscellaneous paperwork.
- Reaching: Extends hands and arms in any direction.
- Stooping: Bends body downward and forward by bending at knees or waist.
- Standing: Remains in standing position, if required to perform various functions of the job.
- Vision: Read paperwork, employment files and records on the computer.
- Talking: Communications by phone and in person.
- Sitting: Sits at desk. Sits for long periods of time.
- Noise: Works in conditions with constant or intermittent noise.
- Temp/Weather: Works in an office environment.
Accommodations: Reasonable accommodations for essential functions of the position will be considered.
Hawthorne Cat® is an Equal Employment Opportunity/M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
Hawthorne Cat® Participates in E-Verify.