MECS Global – Avon Site (Martinez, CA.) site has an exciting opportunity for an Instrumentation and Controls Mechanic/Technician (I&C Mechanic). I&C mechanic will work in a high hazard process manufacturing/production environment and may work in and/or exposed to confined spaces, heights, noise, dust, cold, heat, chemicals, gases and substances under pressure. Must possess a strong safety, continuous improvement, and operational discipline/protocol mindset. Our facility is a Tobacco free worksite.
The I&C Mechanic is responsible for supporting production by performing diagnostics and repairs regarding all instrument and control aspects of equipment in a chemical manufacturing plant. The Mechanic may assist with minor upgrades or new project implementation and must be able to evaluate corporate and government standards to support compliance.
The employee must have thorough knowledge of equipment, specifications, procedures, tools, materials, and techniques used in the installation and maintenance of plant equipment. Required to comply with federal, jurisdictional, industrial and site-specific standards, codes and regulations when performing duties. They must ensure that all processes operate and are maintained within these set standards, codes and regulations. Keeping up-to-date with advances in technology in industry and the trade is important.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Repair, install, replace, calibrate, adjust, electronic, pneumatic components, instruments, sensors, relays, communication and control systems
- Inspect and test the operation of instruments/panels and systems to diagnose faults and verify repairs.
- Inspect, troubleshoot, repair and/or remove all types of generators, transformers, switches, control equipment, wiring, electrical signal, storage batteries and work with electrical systems
- Work with a wide variety of instruments including pH, conductivity, mass flow, pressure transducers, RTDs, etc.
- Work with VDFs
- Assist Mechanical Service Crews with general equipment repairs and maintenance as needed
- Assist with control system reviews
- Assemble/disassemble complex equipment and machinery in a high hazard process manufacturing environment.
- Establish and optimize process control strategies, and configure related systems such as Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Distributed Control Systems (DCSs), Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs) systems.
- Maintain backups, documentation and software revisions as part of maintaining these computer-based control systems.
- Consult technical documentation, drawings, schematics and manuals.
- May assist engineering in plant design, modification and hazard analysis, and work with plant operators to optimize plant controls.
- Determine root cause of failure and correct to prevent reoccurrence
- Support developing and writing maintenance procedures for instrumentation
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in Instrumentation and Controls field
- Any combination of education (2 year degree) and experience which would be likely to result in the needed skill and abilities
- Must be able to work in a hazardous environment wearing appropriate PPE and must be qualified to wear a respirator for potentially hazardous environments
- Prior plant experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong Problem solving and continuous improvement skills
- Knowledge, skills, and ability to safely utilize hand, power and electronic tools, test equipment, and material handling equipment.
- Work on a range of instruments including primary control elements, transmitters, analyzers, sensors, detectors, signal conditioners, recorders, controllers and final control elements.
- Must be able to read schematics
Preferred Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Attention to detail
- Technological aptitude, mathematical and scientific aptitude.
- Possess experience and understanding of electrical codes
- Prior plant construction experience a plus
- Must possess safety and protocol mindset