Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in inspecting metal components and tubular products by applying knowledge of quality assurance standards and procedures. Review quality assurance instructions, job specifications, and production schedules to determine appropriate method of conducting inspections, sequence of operations, and work assignments. Direct workers in inspection to ensure that establishment and regulatory standards are met. Review reports and confer with quality assurance, production, management and engineering personnel to solve work-related issues.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, monitor, control and report the work activities of the department to provide efficient and reliable inspection support to achieve Company objectives.
- Prepare control/inspection plans in accordance with customer order requirements. Work closely with Engineering and Operations to establish priorities, qualify processes and effectively address process quality issues.
- Identify in-process and final inspection training needs and ensure proper training with documentation for Inspection and Operations personnel to ensure methods and tools are applied properly. Establish employee qualification procedures and administer employee training, testing and certification programs. Conduct new employee indoctrination for plant quality systems.
- Develop special tool/fixture concepts for inspection operations, and identify and order required standard gages and supplies.
- Research emerging technologies as they apply to Inspection and NDT. Work with consultants, suppliers and internal resources to develop or improve existing methodologies or equipment for increased throughput and efficiency.
- Review manpower needs and develop capacity reports.
- Identify needed Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility (GR&R) studies and lead implementation to ensure effectiveness of inspection/verification methods.
- Apply quantitative methods (e.g. Six Sigma, SPC, etc.) to identify, prioritize, problem solve, implement and monitor process improvements. Prepare reports to management and customers regarding various processes, qualifications and problems. Establish metrics to concisely and effectively show progress on established goals and initiatives.
- Take a lead role to investigate causes of quality system failures and customer complaints and work closely with Operations personnel to develop corrective actions to eliminate those causes.
- Participate in the review and disposition of nonconforming materials.
- Exercise the usual authority of a Supervisor in relation to hiring, training, counseling, employee relations, performance evaluation, promotions, terminations, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.