Recology is a leader in the waste industry. We provide solid waste management services throughout California, Nevada, and Oregon, including collection, transfer, disposal, landfill management, composting, and recycling. We are the largest employee-owned company in the solid waste industry and our success has stemmed from the dedication of our employees, the service we provide to our customers, and our genuine concern for a sustainable environment.
The following position is currently available at Recology Sunset Scavenger in San Francisco, CA:
TITLE: Heavy Duty Mechanic - Journeyman (2 Positions)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Diagnose, test and repair all aspects of the truck chassis systems including diesel and compressed natural gas engines.
- Diagnose, test and repair truck chassis systems including, but limited to:
- Power trains: diesel and CNG engine diagnostics, engine controls, engine accessories and engine related drivability issues.
- Drive train systems: transmission diagnostics, rear axle, differential and driveline drivability issues.
- Electrical systems: ECM, TCM, lighting, charging, starting and in cab instrumentation.
- Steering systems: mechanical components and hydraulic systems.
- Braking systems: foundation brakes, air chambers, air valves, compressors and ABS systems.
- Wheel end components, bearings, seals and wheel and tire assemblies.
- Exhaust systems: diesel particulate filter diagnostics, controls and cleaning.
- Suspension systems: springs, torque arms and suspension mounting.
- Diagnose, test and repair refuse truck body systems including, but limited to:
- Hydraulic and body control systems: pumps, hydraulic cylinders, valve bodies and operating valves.
- Electrical systems: body controls and lighting
- Body mechanical systems: linkages, packer panels, platens, and body mounting.
- Basic fabrication skills including the use of oxygen and acetylene torches, Mig welding equipment, powered hand and stationary tools and machinery.
- Ability to read and understand electrical, hydraulic and air schematics.
- Understand and follow company guidelines, policies and procedures including regulations from DOT, OSHA and DOE.
- Accurately complete work orders including tracking labor, charging parts and detailing repairs performed.
- Perform maintenance tasks as assigned.
- Maintain shop tools and equipment and maintains a clean and safe work area.
- Follows company Health and Safety rules.
- Attends and participates successfully in training sessions and meetings on work related topics.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Three to five years experience as a Journeyman Heavy Duty Mechanic.
- A valid California Class B Commercial Drivers License (with air brake endorsement) is required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English well including excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate, interact and effectively work as a team within a diverse workforce.
- Waste and recycling industry experience preferred.