We are seeking a motivated and highly skilled individual to help perform safe and efficient Vegetation Management services for SDG&E.
A Foreperson is responsible for the overall performance of the crew. The Foreperson is knowledgeable with respect to company policy, DOT requirements as well as customer requirements. They are skilled to perform various services and possess the leadership to direct and train their crewmembers. They ensure no crewmember is assigned a task to complete on their own useless they have demonstrated the knowledge and skills to perform that task with safety and efficiency.
What we are pround to offer:
As an employee of VM Utility Services working on the SDG&E property you will receive the same rates of pay, wages, hours and other conditions of employment as those who currently perform Line Clearance Tree Trimming on the premises.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to perform Vegetation Management services required of the customer.
- Ability to interpret work assignment/diagrams (on tablet) provided by the General Foreperson.
- Plan out daily work activities for crew.
- Assign tasks to individual crew members, direct crew to complete work according to company safe work practices.
- Must be capable of adjusting to field requirements to take independent action without close supervision.
- Cooperate with General Foreperson, Utility Representatives, homeowners, customers, police, and fire departments.
- In emergency situations, determines action(s) of crew to eliminate hazards to life and property.
- Stay informed on new equipment, specifications, standard practices, operating procedures, and customer requirements for crew instruction/performance.
- Responsible for safety training in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Maintain accurate records, timesheets and reports related to the performance of the crew operation.
- Furnish General Foreperson and utility representative with reports of orders completed, units of work completed, crew time, and distribution, etc.
- Periodically furnish reports on incidents, truck breakdowns, private property damage, new employee follow–up to the General Foreperson.
- Responsible for DOT maintenance and inspection requirements of all required vehicles.
- Control crew costs, including effective use of crewmembers, work methods, operation of equipment, etc.
- Assume responsibility for the inspection and proper working conditions of tools, truck, and other work equipment.
- Must possess mental and physical endurance to work around hazardous conditions and hazardous equipment to safely perform various duties throughout an eight or ten-hour shift.
- Must be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, i.e. rain, heat, sun, cold.
- Must be able to work while exposed to nature (irritating plants and biting or stinging insects, and dust).
- Trim and/or remove trees with aerial lift or manually climb (usually in close proximity to energized lines).
- Manually ascend a tree with the aid of a climb rope and saddle, or ladder.
- Use hand tools, such as pruners, axes, ropes, saws, and rigging gear.
- Trim branches or trunk sections and lower them to the ground safely with ropes.
- Fell, cut and split tree logs into manageable pieces using chainsaws, sledges and wedges.
- Work from the ground using gas powered tools such as chain saw, power blower, weed trimmer.
- Spray stumps and brush with hand-spraying equipment to prevent further growth.
- Operate and service equipment, such as company vehicle, aerial trim lift, chipper and stump grinder.
- Safeguard employees and public from hazards in and around work area (directs traffic, relays hand-signals, warning signs, flags, markers, etc.).
- Load and unload trucks with logs, stumps, brush, and debris and/or feeds brush into a wood chipper.
- Gather brush and feed brush into wood chipper.
- Must be able to work at various heights above ground while secured.
- Must be able to walk, climb, and work from ladders, or at various heights, on uneven and slippery surfaces while handling equipment or material.
- Must be able to lift, move and maneuver heavy weights up to 50 pounds on an infrequent basis, but up to 10 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to write, read and comprehend written and verbal job instructions/information.
- Must be able to communicate and cooperatively work with others.
- Must be able to safely drive an approved company vehicle.
- Must be able to work long hours and overtime during holidays, call-out emergencies, weekends, etc.
- Must have sufficient eye sight to judge distances and coordination to get and use the appropriate equipment and tools (hand-to-eye coordination).
- Must be able to work around loud noise from machines, chain saw, wood chipper and other equipment with hearing protection.
- Must be able to work with hands above head for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to traverse various terrains.