ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY SPECIALIST
Palo Alto, CA
Reports To: EH&S Manager
Monitors health and safety conditions at the hospital as well as all off-site facilities by determining the existence of possible health hazards (medical, bio-hazard, and occupational health) and take steps to correct them.
Provides EH&S leadership in the hospital and develops proactive approaches to safety. Conducts employee safety training and develops, prioritizes and implements EH&S training projects to protect people, products and environment from exposure to injury, risk or economic loss. Keeps the facilities up to regulatory standards and is aware of all the areas in which health or safety problems are likely to arise and develop plans to help employees reduce the possibility of violations. Is familiar with current government and industry regulations and provides subject matter expertise regarding state and federal regulations and best practices.
Works as a team member within HAZMAT response team, maintains Hazard communications (SDS), and is responsible for recycling and universal waste programs as well as for fire drills and emergency evacuations. Participates in incident analysis to identify root cause and recommends effective preventative corrective actions. Will conduct program and policy reviews and provide recommendations for program improvements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Actively promotes safety and health awareness to hospital and contract employees through training, safety – environmental rounds, EH&S audits and site inspections.
· Ensures compliance with applicable occupational health and safety regulations, laws, policies and procedures. Actively participates in, supports, and promotes health and safety initiatives.
· Ensures all unplanned, off-site discharge of hazardous materials and wastes are immediately reported internally and managed per hospital’s policy and procedures including post-incident risk management.
· Manages the Hazardous & Medical Waste, Waste Water & Strom Drain program, and Bay Area Air Quality Management District including applicable policy, program, and regulatory/compliance audits.
· Ensures that all incidents are promptly and correctly reported, investigated, and effective measures are taken to prevent reoccurrence.
· Maintains hazard communications including SDS records.
· Conducts fire drills/emergency evacuations and Environment of Care rounds for all off-site facilities.
· Provides support and advice to all site personnel in meeting their environmental objectives.
· Coaches and mentors employees, contractors and other EH&S staff in adequate risk assessments and hazard management processes.
· Participates in regulatory, risk assessment and HAZMAT response teams.
· Provides regulatory information to internal and external customers.
· Maintain storage and retrieval of regulatory records.
· Tracks emerging regulations and communicates the potential impact to appropriate personnel.
Bachelor’s degree in work-related discipline/field from an accredited college or university.
Three years of progressively responsible and directly related work experience directly involved with management and compliance of health and safety programs in healthcare industry.
· Certified First Aid / CPR instructor. (currently certified or ability to acquire within 12 months from the date of hire).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of Federal, State, Local Agency Standards, OSHA, Toxic Waste Disposal Requirements and Environmental Health & Safety Standards
· Knowledge of chemical synthesis of products and chemical control regulations.
· Knowledge of OSHA 1910/1911.
· Ability to apply safety policies and procedures.
· Ability to work within a diverse work environment and assist in compliance with safety regulations.
· Ability to problem solve and facilitate root cause analysis in an effective manner
· Ability to develop organized and concise reports, compliance records, and files
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with managers, peers and subordinates
· Skill in interviewing, auditing, and risk assessment
· Skill in identifying/mitigating hazards and risks
· Skill in identifying opportunities for improvement
· Skills in hazardous materials management, “community right to know”, hazard recognition and risk management.
· Strong interpersonal, communication, training and influencing skills.
· Good organizational and project management skills.
Email resume to: