NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
The Maintenance Services Division within the Maintenance and Utility Services Department within the Facilities & Infrastructure Directorate has an opening for a Custodian Supervisor in the Custodian Shop. Under minimal direction, the Supervisor has technical, administrative, and supervisory responsibility for managing and coordinating the work of custodians. The selected candidate will interact with coworkers, supervisors, clients, Environmental Safety & Health technicians, other craft personnel, vendors, and regulatory agencies. This position will report to the Senior Supervisor.
- Supervise, manage, direct, and coordinate the work of the custodian shop crew in cleaning, floor finishing, carpet cleaning, outside cleanup, window washing, and other assignments in support of the various facilities at LLNL.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines, building and programmatic personnel, schedule work assignments from job orders, work requests, solve problems, and make decisions effectively and interpret LLNL guidelines and procedures.
- Serve as a point of contact on all communications between the group and with the management team and participate fully in management team decision making and goal setting.
- Provide constructive and timely performance feedback to employees; recommend personnel actions including hiring, discipline, dismissal, salary adjustments, and related functions.
- Review and approve leaves of absence and write performance appraisals.
- Establish goals and measurements for productivity improvements in work processes and make appropriate adjustments.
- Participate in recruitment process including screening and interviewing, maintain department personnel records, and interpret and administer personnel policies and procedures.
- Maintain good working relationships with clients, management, and other shops both at Livermore and Site 300.
- Perform basic computer skills; Word, Outlook, Email, Excel, Power Point
- May be required to perform occasional work at Site 300 facility.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform duties of a custodian as required for training purposes or other miscellaneous tasks (i.e., meeting customer requests, equipment maintenance, over time and meeting customer backlog.)
- May assume superintendent level duties.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment.
- Manage and maintain shop stock.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Experience working as a custodian utilizing tools and equipment of the custodian trade.
- Experience evaluating job hazards, and establish safety standards to assure the public, worker, and environment are protected from adverse consequences.
- Demonstrated ability interpreting and implementing departmental and administrative personnel policies and procedures.
- Experience as a supervisor or lead including the ability to make independent decisions, solve problems, schedule workload, and effectively utilize human resources with a strong emphasis on teamwork.
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills necessary to interact in writing and verbally with all levels of technical and administrative personnel.
- Ability to write performance appraisals, execute disciplinary action, and manage employee problems firmly, fairly, and in a timely manner.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, including scheduled and emergency overtime work that may take place in various buildings and areas of the Laboratory.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
- Ability to lift 30-50 pounds and occasionally lift and carry 50 pounds or more, in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to become medically qualified to wear protective equipment and work in confined spaces.
- Experience with basic computer skills (i.e., Word, Outlook, Email, Excel, Power Point).
How to apply: go to and type 12764 in the search box.