DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
KKCS is seeking an experienced capital cost estimator to join its team in Downtown Los Angeles for a full-time opportunity. The Cost Estimator develops and prepares cost estimates to support the Client’s procurement activities for professional services planning, environmental, construction, maintenance and operations contracts; develops design and construction (capital cost) budgets, and during the planning and design phases of projects for design optimization and value engineering studies, lifecycle cost analyses and risk assessments.
Essential job functions include the following:
- Develop and implement cost estimation practices, standards, procedures and tools to support development of design and construction (capital cost) budgets and to support economic optimization of project designs.
- Conduct needs assessment to inventory and assess cost estimation practices, standards, procedures and tools to support development of design and construction (capital cost) budgets and to support economic optimization of project designs.
- Prepare independent cost estimates for professional services, construction, maintenance and operations contracts, changes and claims.
- Furnish cost and price analyses of proposals from consultants and contractors.
- Prepare estimates to establish project budgets for planning, construction and procurement, value engineering studies, real estate and joint development purchase and exchange decisions.
- Provide estimates and economic analyses to support design optimization, constructability and facilities project feasibility decisions.
- Review and provide comments on estimates prepared by other consultants for planning and construction.
- Prepare estimates to validate funding requests from other government agencies and third-party utilities.
- Provide design and construction technical analyses and support to Management Audit Services.
- Conduct construction market analysis by reviewing cost and bidding trends and evaluating factors that may influence construction bidding.
- Design, develop and deploy industry best practices, standards, procedures and tools to improve the cost estimating function continually.
When duties and responsibilities change and develop, the job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or a related field
- Minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in construction cost estimating
- Experience in the generation of cost estimates for heavy/civil contractors; experience in rail transit required.
- Working knowledge of widely accepted cost estimating methodologies required by owners, consultants and/or contractors
- Ability to generate spreadsheets that compare the program's independent cost estimate quantities, unit prices and total costs to that of a contractor’s or consultant’s estimate
- Demonstrated ability to approach technical issues, identify alternative solutions and solve complex problems
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated proficiency utilizing standard MS Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to manage the workload including setting priorities and meeting schedules effectively
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate and negotiate agreements with the Client's contractors and consultants
- Experience in generating cost estimates with HCSS HeavyBid software is preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 401k with company matching contribution
Kal Krishnan Consulting Services, Inc. (KKCS), a California Corporation, is a full-service engineering & design, construction management, and program management organization. The firm has grown steadily in size and capability since its founding in 1987, and today employs more than 85 professionals in our regional offices. KKCS has attracted to its staff a full complement of highly experienced, talented, and dedicated professionals who bring a collaborative, integrated team approach to our clients’ projects.
KKCS experience includes work on rail, airports, ports, freeways, schools, universities, facilities, water, wastewater, bridges, and roadways. Our client list includes federal agencies, state agencies, regional agencies, and private clients. KKCS has broad experience and expertise in engineering design, project management and project controls services.
The KKCS culture is rooted in the ideals of integrity, safety, diversity, and ethical business practices, which is a commitment shared by all KKCS employees throughout our offices and project sites around the country. We have a positive impact on the communities we serve by not only improving infrastructure but also providing service at a relatively low cost to the taxpayer. This allows for more money to be available to the agencies we serve, that inevitably will be reinvested in the community. At KKCS, we value the individual employee and the importance of their contributions toward quality improvement.