This is a mid-level controls engineering position at a composites company at our research and development center located in Poway California. We primarily design and build components for the aerospace industry. We are looking for someone who can help with creation and support for the automation aspects in our facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Setup communication between manufacturing equipment and MES system
- Proposes innovated solutions to manufacturing challenges leveraging automation
- Program SCADA system (XML, Java, & Python)
- Track products through all phases of production
- Program Industrial PLCs (IEC 1131-3, ladder logic)
- Debug industrial networking
- Robot programming and communication
- Database querying (SQL)
- Integrate automation solutions into existing processes
- Ensure that all equipment is compliant to standard safety practices and regulatory organizations (OSHA, ANSI, UL, NFPA), customer processing spec (BAC, RPS) qualification requirements, and aerospace industry accredited organization (nadcap, ncamp) requirements.
- Provide accurate time estimates to production management on automation installation functions.
- Install and startup equipment at manufacturing location
- Manage external equipment and service providers.
- Up to 20% travel may be required.
- Physical factors—Ability to climb ladders, operate hand & power tools, drive fork lift, assemble heavy mechanisms, Physical Demands (standing, sitting, lifting, bending, and climbing), Frequency (random throughout shift).
- Flexibility to alter work schedule to occasionally work around production schedules.
- IEC 1131-3 PLC programming experience. Allen-Bradley Logix 5000 preferred
- Proficiency with structured programming languages and scripting such as C++, Java, VB, Python, etc…
- Database knowledge
- Proficiency with SCADA systems. Ignition preferred
- Familiarity with industrial control and machine vision systems
- Ability to design, read, and understand electrical schematics
- Exposure to CNC machining, 3D printing and/or G-code a plus
- Exposure to industrial manufacturing
- Understanding of industrial robots and collaborative robots
- Ability to drive automation projects through entire project lifecycle
- Knowledge of debug instruments (digital multi-meter, oscilloscope, megger, Wire Shark etc…).
- Familiarity with hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems
- Proficient computer skills
- Four year engineering degree with 5 years related automation based experience or equivalent
- Completed training in proper software structure and techniques